Horizon includes a patch for mod Sim Settlements.
- Balance is not very in-depth but nothing is broken outright. Residential plots work great, standard industrial too.
- Taxes are probably too much and should be turned off at least for use with desolation mode.
- Maintenance is broken, turn it off too.
- Commercial plots don't give automatic income and instead count as Vendors.
- Industrial Revolution is not really balanced: purified water, oil, etc. very easy to get. Beers give all sorts of unpatched effects.
- RoTC automatic settlements are very overpowered (free water, food, etc for a bit of scrap)
There's also a mod (1.5.4) with SimSettlements plots containing Horizon's job stations.