The default survival system in FO4 wasn't necessarily bad, but it needed some tuning to make it not feel as awkward and annoying to deal with.
Eating a good meal should prevent severe hunger for a fair amount of time. You shouldn't have to suffer through a day or 2 worth of debuffs in order to make good "caps" usage out of cooked food. It doesn't make sense.
Horizon has rescaled the food/water consumption so the first stage lasts much longer. But the total amount of food/water you need to eat (over time) remains exactly the same. In other words, it now feels much smoother without pestering you so often.
In short: If you eat a big meal (real cooked food that gives ~100 value) when it says you're "Hungry", it will actually use most/all of that value, and you will be "Well Fed" for longer. Don't bother eating before that though, or you waste food.
Changes to the Status Icons[edit | edit source]
- Icons for all debuffs can come in varying degrees of color
- Yellow/Orange/Red icons are based on how severe the debuff is
- Beneficial buff icons will remain as the normal UI color (the color you have it set to)
- Hunger/Thirst ranges from: yellow, orange, orange, red, red
- It's recommended to use a pale color UI to get the most out of any text colors
Changes to Survival Mode[edit | edit source]
- The time it takes to reach the first hunger level is ~24 hours (up from 6 hours)
- The food points required for the first hunger level is 4 times higher (roughly 96 food points, i.e. caps value.)
- Every 12 hours after that, you will reach the next hunger level (similar to before.)
- The total amount of "food points" (which is based on the caps value) that is needed to stop hunger per hour, remains exactly the same.
- The total time it takes to reach the last "starve to death" level is slightly extended to 3 days (up from 2.6 days)
- The time it takes to reach the first thirst level is 8 hours (the max level remains the same; water per hour remains the same.)
- "Fed" is now "Well Fed", since that level range effectively lasts much longer.
- "Peckish" is now "Hungry"
- "Hungry" is now "Very Hungry"
- The time while sleeping to check food/thirst is increased to match a standard 24-hour eating cycle.
- The penalty of engaging in combat is reduced slightly.
- Hunger reduces the amount of healing received when using medical supplies
- Being "Rested" gives you a bonus to the amount of healing received when using medical supplies
- Sleep deprivation also reduces your XP gained
- Lethargy's penalty is slightly lowered.
- Being over-encumbered no longer damages you, but reduces your agility by -5
- Molerat disease is reduced to 2 hours and then it will wear off (that icon needed to go.)
- The game mechanic of "requiring companions to be healed or they go home" is removed
Timescale addon differences[edit | edit source]
- The timescale is reduced in half to 10 (instead of 20)
- Sleep deprivation debuffs are more severe (doubled in most cases, since being awake is always half the time)
- While sleeping, hunger/thirst now advance at normal rate (was 75%)
- Food/thirst advance at 1.5x the normal value per hour
- Vendors respawn every 5 days (instead of 7 days)
- Resource Manager production occurs every 18 hours (instead of 24 hours)
Food and water[edit | edit source]
- Bottles of Purified Water now grant a buff of +10 Damage/Energy/Rad Resists for 15 minutes
- Bottles of Purified and Dirty Water give slightly more hydration
- Many cooked meals are worth more "food points" (i.e. caps value) now
- Cooked meals in general require a lot more ingredients to craft
- Some cooked meals have different versions now that require extra meat/crops, but give more value
- Raw meat is usually worth less "food points" now
- Most foods that give radiation damage, now give more radiation damage
- In the cooking station, all food is now categorized in 3 main groups based on perk requirements
- When you drink any beverage, it will give you back an appropriate empty bottle
- This game mechanic has some issues with it, so it's disabled for now. It might be overhauled in the future.